Atomic Liquors signage

ATOMIC VEGAS - ATOMIC LIQUORS YELLOW PAGES LISTING

The Yellow Pages entry pictured below from 1954 displays two atomic businesses in Las Vegas. Incredibly, one of them is still around...

The Atomic Liquor Store (better known as Atomic Liquors) at 917 East Fremont Street is a landmark that refuses to succumb to Sin City's penchant for tearing down its icons. It might help that the venerable dive bar resides on the slummy side of town (near the Western Hotel Casino) and is therefore less desirable to wealthy real estate developers.
Atomic Liquor Store listings in the Luskey's Official Las Vegas City Directory (Yellowpages) 1954
Atomic Liquors began life in 1945 as a cafe named "Virginia's." In 1953 co-owners Joe and Stella Sobchik converted it into a bar and renamed it "The Atomic Liquor Store" to cash in on the publicity surrounding the nuclear testing taking place at the nearby Nevada Proving Ground (now known as the Nevada Test Site). Over the decades Atomic Liquors has become a familiar part of the city landscape. In 1995 it even had a cameo in the Martin Scorsese film CASINO.

Remarkably, the Sobchiks continue to run Atomic Liquors after more than half a century of service to the community. So, when in Vegas, stop by for the beverage of your choice and say hello to them. The bar is open everyday from 6AM to 11PM. There aren't any "atomic" souvenirs there, just good stiff drinks.


ATOMIC VEGAS - ATOMIC LIQUORS YELLOW PAGES LISTING
Luskey's Official Las Vegas City Directory
October, 1954

PERMALINK URL: http://conelrad.com/books/folio.php?id=P352

© 1999-2005 CONELRAD.COM